The intention to grow like a seed is at the heart of creativity.
And to live life creatively is to recapture the sense of adventure, wonder and playfulness that children—those seeds of infinite human possibility—naturally possess.
Children observe a situation and ask questions and make statements that enable even adults (who generally assume they understand what they are seeing) to learn something completely new about it.
To help you find that fresh perspective, below is a warm-up exercise. Though it may seem simple upon first reading, if you actually try it, you’ll find that it is incredibly powerful.
Remember: To really and truly change your life, you must start from where you are, examine your situation and take a chance on yourself by making the changes that reveal themselves. Play this little game and your reward will be a more creative approach to life:
*Have a pad and pen handy to journal your insights.
The Warm-Up Exercise
1. Try to look at a given situation as if you are seeing it for the first time.
2 Do not assume you already know it all. Question everything with the bravery of a child, without fearing that you will uncover answers you may not like.
3. Ask yourself, “What is really going on?”
4. How is the situation affecting you?
5. If you could wave a magic wand and make anything happen, how would you want things to be?
6. What is preventing things from being that way?
7. What, if anything, can be done to effect change and eliminate what is standing in your way?
8. See yourself doing what has to be done. Take note of what you see in your mind's eye and write it down.
9.If nothing can be done, why is that?
10. Isn't there some other way of doing it or approaching the issue?
11. Is your desire to change really in your best interest?
If you are ready to do what is necessary, take a cue from pioneering imagery expert, Dr. Gerald Epstein, M.D.: You must separate your intention from your attention. In other words, do not dwell on how you are going to surmount the obstacles presently in your way. Let your subconscious mind do its job without interference. You will be surprised when a creative flash of inspiration comes to you and gives you a solution for how to proceed.