My name is: Nicole Berrie.
I’m known for being: founder and editor of Bonberi.com.
I'm helping to launch: New York’s first plant-based bodega, Bonberi on Bleecker.
You can find it at: 384 Bleecker Street, Tuesdays through Sundays from 10am-6pm!
What makes it special is: There is something for everyone—your child, your partner, your doorman, even your least wellness-y friend. We aim to make wellness less intimidating and more accessible to anyone.
One thing you can’t miss is: a toss-up between our Dulse Caeser and our vegan and gluten-free banana bread. And, of course, our Cauliflower Soup (recipe below!).
My favorite lesser-known detail is: that our street-facing bar seating is the perfect spot for lunching and people-watching (with the occasional celeb sighting).
Your body will thank you because: our meals are properly food-combined to aid in digestion, are freshly made and taste delicious!
Here’s the recipe for our Bonberi Cauliflower Soup, so you can get a taste of what we offer:
Bonberi Cauliflower Soup
- 5 cups cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced (2.5 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 cups water
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 5 teaspoon sea salt
- lemon zest, for garnish
*Makes 5 cups
- Chop cauliflower into small florets.
- In a large pot, add onions and garlic until softened, but not browned (may need to add some water).
- Add cauliflower. Sauté until cauliflower is tender, slowly adding water as needed (up to ½ cup).
- Cover and let steam.
- Pour in remaining water. Bring mixture to boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree by batch in a blender, or use an immersion blender.
- Season with salt and pepper and blast with squeeze of fresh lemon juice and lemon zest. Serve hot.