My name is: Kelera Labalaba.
I’m known for being: a commis chef at Six Senses Fiji; I focus on the pastry kitchen.
I'm helping to launch: Eat With Six Senses, specifically the Wellness Kitchen at Six Senses Fiji.
You can find it at: The Gourmet Deli on property.
What makes it special is: I work on the gluten- and wheat-free products that we offer on property including breads, crackers, “flours” (such as coconut and tapioca flour) and baked goods such as ginger cookies and muffins. By cutting out wheat and gluten, to which many people are sensitive, we ensure that all guests can enjoy fresh, homemade products.
One thing you can’t miss is: Our Keto Rolls—made fresh in-house. They taste best straight out of the oven. *And I’ve shared the recipe below!
My favorite secret detail is: We use local produce that we grow on property or that is already growing on our island. In Fiji, coconuts are plentiful and can be used in many different forms in the kitchen, for example.
Your body will thank you because: Everything that goes into our dishes is sustainably and locally sourced, and we make sure that we avoid the bad stuff. Using a simple approach to preparation, we focus on quality and balance in all meals, meaning you will feel refreshed, content and guilt-free after a meal.
Six Senses Keto Rolls
- Almonds, ground 1 cup
- Psyllium husk 5 tablespoons
- Flaxseed, ground ¼ cup
- Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking soda, 1 teaspoon
- Apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons
- Boiling water, 1 cup
- Egg whites, 3 or aquafaba (chickpea juice), 7 tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- Whip egg whites or aquafaba to soft peaks and slowly add apple cider vinegar.
- Mix in the dry ingredients with boiling water, beating for 30 seconds until combined.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to bind.
- Form into six rolls and bake for 50 minutes.