Like it or not, trick-or-treating kids rarely get excited when handed apples and mini boxes of raisins. Even an adult wouldn’t be thrilled.
For many, including me, Halloween is all about candy, but that doesn’t mean the sweets have to be processed and bad for you.
These Chia Maple Caramels are the perfect treat. Not only are they tasty, they also provide some serious health benefits: chia seeds are loaded with omega-3’s, protein, fiber and antioxidants. Plus, they add a fun crunch to the gooey candies.
So, without further ado, here’s one way to make Halloween a little less frightening but even more delicious:
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup maple syrupC
1/4 cup coconut milk
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp chia seeds
1. Oil an 8 x 12-inch baking dish.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix and heat the sugar, maple syrup, coconut milk and salt.
3. Cook until mixture reaches 244 degrees, the firm ball candy stage, without stirring too often.
4. Add coconut oil and chia seeds and stir until well combined.
5. Pour the candy into the baking dish and score into squares as it hardens.
6. Let cool for at least 3 hours.
7. Remove from pan and fully cut into squares.