I recently spent a month in Central Morocco on a D.I.Y. culinary adventure. I traveled from the Atlantic coast over the Atlas Mountains to the palm-lined oasis of the desert, eating tagines, couscouses and the variety of delicacies the country has to offer along the way.
One balmy evening in Marrakech, we were feeling much in need of a fresh, healthy salad, when we had the good fortune to stumble across Nomad, a restaurant in the spice souk that uses traditional Moroccan ingredients with an updated, modern twist.
Once back home, I recreated this healthy, nutritious salad I enjoyed with a few modifications of my own. Enjoy!
Cauliflower, Green Olive, Fennel & Golden Salad
1 small head cauliflower, cored & chopped into ½-inch pieces
1 large bulb fennel, cored & thinly sliced
¼ cup sliced green olives
¼ cup golden raisins
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup thinly sliced mint
¼ cup thinly sliced chives
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Make vinaigrette and set aside.
2. Combine cauliflower, fennel, green olives and golden raisins in a bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat, adding more as needed.
3. Add fresh herbs to cauliflower mixture, tossing to combine. Season with sea salt and pepper.
4. Serve topped with toasted almonds.
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. honey
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ cup cold-pressed olive oil
¼ sea salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1. Combine apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey and dijon in a medium bowl.
2. Slowly pour in olive oil, whisking to emulsify. Add salt and pepper.
*Note: Save extra vinaigrette to have on hand for a green salad.
Other recipes you might enjoy include: Cilantro & Pumpkin Seeds and Cucumber Aloe Face Mask.