In the vegetable world, asparagus is like the poster child for spring with its bright green color, tender flesh and delicate flavor.
This dish is simple to prepare yet complex in flavor, perfect for impressing your friends on those sunny day picnics.
The white miso lends hints of sweetness with a savory counterbalance. The pine nut butter adds a rich, creamy flavor that is decadent and brings out the natural nuttiness in the asparagus.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp coarse sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
1. Preheat grill on high heat.
2. Line with aluminum foil if desired.
3. Toss asparagus in olive oil.
4. Season with salt and pepper.
¼ cup white miso
2 tbsp stone ground mustard
2 tbsp rice vinegar
¼ tsp black pepper
1. Place all ingredients in the blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
Pine Nut Butter:
1 cup pine nuts
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup olive oil
½ tsp salt
1. In medium skillet on medium high heat, toast pine nuts for 3-5 minutes until lightly golden and fragrant.
2. Reserve ¼ cup of the pine nuts whole.
3. Place remaining pine nuts with the coconut oil, olive oil and salt in the blender and blend until smooth.
4. If desired, chill until solidified like butter or serve as is in liquid form.
Spread pine nut butter on a plate. Place asparagus on top and drizzle miso mustard over.