This healthy, nutrient-dense version of brittle is one of my favorite go-to snacks—especially for fall.
On top of being delicious, it’s portable, super easy to make and keeps for several weeks packed in an air-tight container (if you don’t eat it all up right away!). It’s gluten-free, vegan and a good source of healthy fats, protein and immune-boosting zinc.
Think of this recipe as a template and play around with different fruit, nut and seed combinations. For a sweeter and more decadent treat, drizzle melted dark chocolate over the brittle before breaking it into pieces.
2 cups raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
2 cups unsalted pecans, roughly chopped
½ cup sesame seeds
½ cup flax meal
½ cup dried, unsweetened coconut
1 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
¼ tsp sea salt
Zest of 1 orange
1 cup maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line sheet pan with Silpat or parchment.
3. Add all ingredients (pumpkin seeds through orange zest) except maple syrup to a large bowl and stir to combine.
4. Pour maple syrup into mixture and mix to coat thoroughly.
5. Spread mixture on sheet pan and press down evenly with bench scraper.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until nuts are hardened in middle of sheet pan, not soft and sticky, and brittle is golden brown.
7. Cool and break into uneven pieces.