This is one of my favorite things to eat in the spring, during the height of asparagus harvest.
It’s simple, seasonal and big on nutrients, as well as flavor. It works for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner. Arugula or mixed greens are both good options in place of, or along with, the watercress.
Try switching it up with a fried egg!
1 egg, poached
4 asparagus spears
½ teaspoon olive oil
Sea salt & black pepper
1 cup watercress
½ Meyer lemon
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt flakes, such as Maldon
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Coat asparagus spears with ½ teaspoon olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for 5 minutes or until tender crisp.
3. Toss watercress with juice from ½ lemon, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and place on a plate.
4. Top watercress with roasted asparagus, then poached egg.
5. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and season with black pepper to taste.
Editor's Note: other healthy, delicious recipes you might enjoy include Mayan Truffles, Cilantro & Pumpkin Seeds and Black Bean Quinoa-Sliders.