The microbiome is a whole inner world that lives within your intestines: trillions of tiny microbes that help you extract the nutrients from your food, balance your mood and sharpen your clarity and focus. When we eat the foods that keep this inner world in balance, we also feel more energized than ever before and develop healthy, glowing skin. The choice can be life-changing.
From February 29th to March 7th, I’m hosting the first Microbiome Medicine Summit online to teach people all about the incredible ways this lifestyle shift can boost health.
For starters, here’s a cheat sheet on the what, how and why of the Microbiome Diet:
What is the microbiome?
The microbiome is the community of trillions of bacteria that live in your digestive tract and elsewhere throughout your body, which have more influence over our day-to-day life than our own genes do. Most of us tend to think of ourselves as separate, autonomous beings whose growth and development depends entirely on ourselves. But, in fact, our health, our weight and our very survival are inextricably dependent on our microbiome.
How can we achieve a healthy microbiome?
Generally, consuming probiotic foods like fermented kimchee or kefir (which contain healthy live bacteria) can help. Foods and spices, however—called prebiotic foods—also greatly nourish the healthy bacteria already living in your body. You need both kinds to keep your microbiome balanced. Here’s how to get started:
Phase 1 (the four Rs): Remove the unhealthy bacteria and foods that unbalance the microbiome, replace the digestive enzymes for optimal digestion, reinoculate with probiotics and pre-biotics, repair the lining of your intestinal walls.
Phase 2: Fill your diet with Dr. Kellman's list of superfoods, super spices, probiotics, pre-biotics and Dr. Kellman's own Microbiome Supersupplements.
Phase 3: Follow Dr. Kellmans diet plan (varies by case) and tailored diet to maintain healthy weight loss for life
What are the common health benefits of this diet?
The list goes on and on:
Fast dramatic, permanent weight loss
Improved response and stress:
1. Vastly improved mental focus, emotional state and energy levels
2. Beautiful glowing skin
3. Renewed sense of vibrancy and vitality
4. Fortified and protected intestine wall and promotion of intestinal healing
5. Promoted healthy digestion
6. Regulated caloric extraction from foods and metabolism
7. Digestion of difficult foods like certain types of fiber and even lactose
8. Education and regulation of the immune system
9. Modulated inflammation
10. Enhanced detoxification
11. Regulated mood and promoted mental clarity
12. Synthesis of critical nutrients for human use like Vitamin K, C, B12, biotin, folate, butyrate and natural antibiotics
13. Modulated gene expression
14. Improved IBD, IBS symptoms and skin conditions
15. Corrected imbalances in bowel function