“Surround yourself with friends who only call you a superstar.”—Natasha Bedingfield
It’s powerful to be surrounded by people who seek out the “yes” in life instead of looking for the “no.” I’m not talking about the butt-kissers who will tell you your ass looks fabulous in burlap to get a piece of your action. No, I’m speaking about the people who will remind you, in a moment of weakness, of what you really want—not just what you want right now.
When it comes to getting fit and losing weight, it’s important to have a team of people in your life who can help you stay on the path when times get tough, or when that sexy, delicious, mind-numbing temptation comes calling.
In science we say that in order to create stronger muscles, the body must sustain progressive OVERload. This means that if you want to evolve, you have to step outside your comfort zone and push yourself a little beyond your previously determined “edge.”
Did you ever notice that there’s a gap between the moment you ask yourself a question such as, Should I work out today?, and the time it takes to decide what the answer is? (Maybe I’ll go to happy hour with the gang instead…)
This is a gap that can lead to an unintended avalanche of spoiled attempts at staying consistent with your healthy life habits. On the flip side, your daily decisions can also lead to an elevated state of being. This is a space which feels true to your deepest desires, your hero’s journey.
The key to creating momentum toward your really big goals and dreams is surrounding yourself with people who believe in you and are willing to support you, even at the risk of pissing you off. When you have a team in place that reminds you daily what it is you’re working for, it makes it easier to say no to the quick fix, and yes to the happily ever after.
These are my top 5 tips for creating your own superstar quality entourage for success
1. Only share your big dreams with supportive people. Going after what you want takes guts and those who wish they had the kind of cojones you’ve got may feel threatened by your go-get-em’ attitude, and try to bring you down. Nothing is more discouraging and soul sapping than a friend or relative who points out all the reasons you might fail. Don’t subject yourself to that kind of negativity! Keep your plans to yourself unless you know there is support and encouragement on the other end.
2. Seek out and surround yourself with people who have had great success, the kind you long for. It’s inspiring to know that someone you admire has struggled and had to overcome adversity to get epic results. A little encouragement from a mentor can work magic for your confidence, and motivate you to keep pushing forward, especially when life gets heavy.
3. Make a list of all the first-class support you already have in your life right now. Thank these studs for being your dream team, and watch them rally even more support staff for your mission. It feels good to know you are needed and appreciated. I don’t know about you, but when I hear thank you, it makes me want to do even more to help.
4. Take a moment to appreciate and celebrate how far you’ve come. Then, look for others you can assist to reach an equal level of awesomeness. There is no better way to learn something than to teach someone else. If you’ve been successful losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, share your secrets with those in need of motivation and encouragement.
5. Get out and meet new people! There are billions of fascinating humans on the planet. Go find your ultimate tribe. Attend classes and meet ups with those who have similar interests and hobbies. Share your ideas with people who don’t know your entire life story or have energy invested in your outcomes. Getting outside feedback can be a huge ego boost.